• January 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm #1114
    RacismIsBad

So within the context of the game they actually have to leave and talk about their problems in another room while Jeff Davis and you can continue with his part of the campaign. If Harmontown came close to me I would definitely feel I’d still be getting my money’s worth having just you two up there for a while. If that’s not an option that’s fine, don’t judge.

January 27, 2013 at 8:08 pm #6288
    cranked

Half of the appeal of Harmontown (at least, for me) is the unpredictable nature of the show. So if Dan and Erin end up getting into an argument/airing their dirty laundry onstage, that’s just the way the show is going to go. This unpredictability of Harmontown is also the reason why highly entertaining and memorable things such as the Vincent Price “Fuck Your Daddy” rap happen, so you really have to take the good with the less good.

January 28, 2013 at 12:26 am #6289
    afish93

Well, a couple of things. First and foremost, I, along with a lot of other people, really enjoyed* the “fight.” Meaning, I thought it was touching and beautiful and vulnerable and honest, and to do it onstage was awesome. Second, it is Harmontown, after all. If Dan Harmon leaves the stage mid-show to go and have a fight with Erin (though that’s not what they were doing in Pittsburgh, really), that’s chaos and a whole different show. Everyone thinks Spencer and Jeff are great but Eddie Van Halen doesn’t take a phone call during a concert while David Lee Roth stands there and riffs. It doesn’t make sense and I’m sure no part of Dan nor Erin would allow them to just step off stage during a show and leave the audience hanging weirdly like that.

January 28, 2013 at 12:55 am #6290
    Sam

@cranked @afish93 I agree with you guys. I know opinions are divided over these things, and the “Boo Love” guy certainly didn’t enjoy that bit of the show. But, for me, without absolute honesty, and without the possibility of the occasional major downer, there’s no Harmontown. Funny people being funny is great, but Harmontown is a different type of thing to just comedy; Harmontown is a mirror image of real life. I know people were worried a while ago about Dan censoring himself, and I’m in complete sympathy with those people. But I also think it’s just as crucial that Erin doesn’t censor herself, and likewise that the audience play along with the spirit of things and keep a sense of humility.

It seems to me that there’s been a lot of strain on Harmontown during the last week or so of tour; that the whole thing has been stretched and squashed, and I guess that has something to do with the impossibility of keeping an equal balance between performer and audience. As far as I see it, there’s a social contract between everybody involved (including us on the Forum) that we all maintain our respect, our humility, and, most of all, our honesty. If people don’t want to experience every aspect of Dan’s world, the sad bits as well as the funny bits, then those people are welcome to go and watch sitcoms. Me, I like Harmontown.

Bit of a tangent there, I guess, but this subject has been occupying my mind of late.

January 28, 2013 at 12:57 am #6291
    Bewster

I’m SO over the whole Dan/Erin thing, the real underlying sexual tension this whole tour is all Jeff/Spencer.

January 28, 2013 at 1:05 am #6292
    Sam

@Bewster Quite. Hopefully the documentary crew were foresighted enought to pick up on it.

January 28, 2013 at 1:51 am #6293
    RacismIsBad

I honestly think Jeff and Spencer could pull off a very good show together if it came to this. Sorry if I’m not as comfortable with relationship issues as I am with a good DnD round.

January 28, 2013 at 1:56 am #6294
    Sam

@RacismIsBad Hey, no worries about that. We all have different feelings about what Harmontown is and what it does for us. You’re as right as anybody else is; that’s the beauty of it all.

January 28, 2013 at 9:17 am #6295
    cranked

@Bewster I dunno man, it seems like a lot of folks are shipping Spencer/Erin.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.